I’m absolutely obsessed with sweet and savory desserts, and I am always looking for new ways to feed my sweet and salty addiction. When I came across this non-vegan recipe I knew I needed to try my hand at making it vegan. I have to say this might be my all-time favorite cookie recipe. I’d even go so far as to say this is the best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. The cookies came out perfectly soft yet crunchy, and they spread like a dream, which can be a challenge for many vegan cookie recipes. I guarantee you no one will ever assume these cookies are vegan, because they taste rich and buttery without the dairy! This recipe is no-fail and super easy to throw together without any fancy ingredients.
I mixed some the broken pretzels into the batter and then topped each of the cookies with a full pretzel. You’ll want to give the dough a little firm press to make sure they fully spread in the oven. If you don’t have sea salt flakes, don’t worry, you can definitely use a pinch of regular sea salt on top for the same flavor profile!
Sea Salt Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted vegan butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs (I used Neat Brand, or you could combine 2 tablespoons ground flax with 6 tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pretzels
- Pretzel twists (for topping cookies)
- Maldon sea salt flakes (for topping cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using parchment or a silicone baking mat line your cookie sheets.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugars together for about 3 minutes using a hand or stand mixer.
- In a separate bowl make your flax eggs according to package instructions and let sit for 1 minute then add the vanilla and flax egg to the butter and sugar mixture, mixing well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients 1/3 cup at a time to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Once everything is mixed add the chocolate chips and chopped pretzels and stir to combine.
- Using a spoon or your hands, form the cookie dough into balls and press them down slightly on the lined baking sheet.
- Place one pretzel twist on top of each cookie and sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes or until the edges start to turn slightly golden brown.
This recipe was republished with permission from Vegan Guide to the Galaxy.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!